Friday, December 23, 2011

My baby is 3!!!

One week and 3 years ago I was put on bedrest at 34 weeks because I was dilated to 3cm and partially effaced. I still had a lot of Christmas shopping to get done and we were having the first bad snow/ice storm in years. I decided to make the best of it and relax since I knew once "Filbert" (that was what my best friend Nicki and I used to call her before we knew the gender) I wasn't going to be getting much rest. So I sat on the couch wrapping presents, watching Days of Our Lives and other crappy day time tv.

On December 22 I took this picture..
I had no idea it'd be my last belly pic with this baby. About 4 hours (around 8:30 pm) after this picture I started having contractions. So my mom said maybe we should go to the hospital, we were supposed to be going to the hospital in the next big city but with all the snow and ice there was no way we'd make it there safely so I got to go to the hospital I wanted to deliver at anyway. The hospital is Silverton Hospital and they have one of the best birthing centers in the US.

When we got there there were no birthing suites available and they wanted to check me to make sure it wasn't false labor so they took me into a triage room and checked me. I was 5 cm dilated and when the nurse checked me she accidentally broke my water. Because of there being no suites available I was in the triage room from 8:45 till about 5am.

I labored from 5am-9am by walking around the room, taking a bath in the jacuzzi tub and squatting. Around 9 I asked for an epidural, waited half an hour for the doctor to come give it to me. He spent 20 minutes stabbing my back and couldn't get it in right so I gave up and told him not to bother trying anymore.

At 10am I was ready to push. I pushed for around an hour and 20 minutes or so. Lyla Cynthia was born at 11:23am on December 23, 2008 6lbs 14oz and 21". She was so beautiful!

I didn't get to see her long because I started having complications (hemorrhaging, uterus not contracting down.. very unpleasant stuff) and she was having breathing problems and really jaundiced. She spent 6 hours in the nursery under an oxygen helmet thing. I wasn't allowed to get up because of all the stuff that had happened to me. That was probably the hardest 6 hours of my life.

I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because my blood pressure kept spiking and they wanted to keep an eye on Lyla. We went home at 4pm on Christmas day. A week later they checked her levels of jaundice and they were still pretty high so we had to get her a biliblanket.
She spent a lot of time on that thing.
 Even though she was so early other than the jaundice and breathing problems in the beginning she was perfect. Never behind on anything and always off the charts for statistics.

At 3 years old she is 34lbs and 40 inches. According to a height predictor, at age 18 Lyla will be 5'9"!

Here's a few of my favorite pics of her..

She always made this scrunchie face when she stretched.

We had a princess party so she wore her dress from our wedding!
Party post coming soon.

Happy Birthday Princess!!
Mommy loves you more than anything in the whole world. You're my princess, my pride and joy, my snuggle bunny. I'm so thankful to be your mommy.


  1. Happy Birthday! I love it! Thanks for sharing your birth story!

  2. Aww she's adorable!!!! I had a bad birthing experience too :( but overall it worked out well...hope she had a great x-Mas !!! :)

  3. She is SOOO cute! Happy Birthday. There are so worth it, aren't they? Hope you had a great Christmas!

  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day...sorry it has taken me a while to respond. The holidays have kept me busy! Hope you and your family had a good holiday weekend. I love her scrunchie face photo!