Friday, March 14, 2014

Homeschooling

This post might be a jumble because I'm just so confused but feel like I need to write it out and hopefully get some advice. I feel like my heart is pulling me towards homeschooling but my mind is telling me Lyla may flourish and grow more in traditional schooling. 

I'm just so tired of all the germs. I'm tired of all of us being sick. No matter what I do at least one of us has been sick since September and I'm not exaggerating. It's been ridiculous. I'm tired of mean girls and parents who don't teach their kids how to be respectful of other kids and parents that really don't act any better. I try to teach my kids that you won't always like everyone you meet in life but that you really should be nice to everyone. Lyla is in a private preschool that has a board committee and the people on the board think that they are all high and mighty. I have had several issues with the board president. I'm also starting to have issues with the teacher. I swear, today she spent 1/3 of the short amount of the school day gossiping with the board president.

But then I have the feeling in the back of my mind that I don't have the confidence or smarts to do it.. Especially in math and science.

Do you homeschool? Why or why not? What are your thoughts on homeschooling?



1 comment:

  1. I am a special ed teacher (well, I recently got my teaching degree but don't have an actual job yet) and many of my colleagues frown on homeschooling... but I really think it can be awesome. When you homeschool, you get to do a lot more hands-on and experiential learning. You can do your learning in libraries, museums, nature centers, the backyard, with a local homeschooling group, on a family vacation, or wherever. The whole world is open to you! When I plan lessons for the kids with special needs who I work with, I often look to homeschooling blogs for ideas, because their ideas are more likely to engage the whole child, instead of just forcing them to read something or listen to something and then regurgitate the information on a test.
    But really it has to be a personal decision about what works best for your family. You could always try homeschooling for a year and then try regular school again if it doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete