Friday, March 21, 2014

Homemade {easy} Refried Beans

I've been trying to get into more real, unprocessed, non-boxed foods and one thing we love in this family is Mexican food! So I googled a few recipes for refried beans and sort of combined a few and tweaked one to fit our tastes. Plus, one bag of beans is around $2.00 and makes about as much as 6-8 cans of store bought refried beans. 

Ingredients:
1 bag of pinto beans
2 tbsp minced garlic
enough water to cover the beans
lime juice
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp onion powder
taco seasoning

Put the beans and minced garlic in the crockpot. Put enough water in the beans to cover them, plus about an inch, they'll soak it all up.


I let the cook for about 8 hours on low and then sit overnight to cool.


The next morning I dumped them into a big bowl and put the seasonings in and use my mixer to mash it up. I chose this taco seasoning from the refrigerated section in produce because it was the most natural one I could find. It took awhile to mix it all up because there was so much. 


I made enough for like 3 dinners so I separated them and froze them.

I hope you'll try it out! Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment